[Gasification] equipment suppliers for power generation 40kW ?

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Wed Mar 30 17:18:06 CDT 2011

Hi Jeremie and Li,

In answer to your questions:

Doug,
Can you tell me where you experienced gasification in Madagascar?

I stated that I provided assistance to these engineers, not actually work in Madagascar. They knew nothing about gasification, wanted to build locally, and wanted cheap.

We discussed known and potential applications, the local level of technology, current transport systems and energy use, weather, environmental issues, and the indigenous population. The discussions stopped when they said the fuel was going to be grass, because it was available every where. I referred them to very practical DIY briquetting technologies, with advise on how these might be produced in a thermally bonded format, the most appropriate way for these types of fuels to be gasified in some sort of reliable way. This would then allow a place to start for any testing to begin.  I never heard from them again, which was about six years ago, and their file has long gone, along with the contact details. I do have to have a big clean out at least every three years, as there is little need for me to keep tag of these endless type of enquiries.

Who were the French engineers?

They must have been in a large town with water supplies, and were responsible for supplying and running the water works.

Do you know if it is still running?

Based from experience from other enquiries, it is very unlikely they went any further with their ideas and built anything at all. It's not that you cannot do things, but severely limited by your own ability and knowledge to make it happen. The choice of fuel being grass, straight away took them into a place with no know commercial history of proven application. Wood and charcoal was not an option if I remember correctly.

Sorry there is not more to add, but this is typical of how many working in areas of need, can make big mistakes.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne Gasification.