[Gasification] Charcoal Gasifiers

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun May 8 22:09:26 CDT 2011

Tom,

Thanks for the reference to the Kalle. Lots of good principles to remember
there. We’ve all been fascinated with that one from time to time. Many
thanks to Joachim for the translation.

Pannirselvam,

The Adam retort does make good use of heat. Low quality waste heat can be
recovered. If you could recover the gas you could generate about 4 kWe.  But
I am looking for ways to generate power from small scale charcoal production
equal to 5-10 Adam retorts:  50-100 kWe  So I’m looking for the $2200/kWe
solution based on gas from 12 m3 batch kilns.

Most charcoal in SSA is probably produced in earth kilns. There are big
quantities. DRC alone consumes 1.9 million tons of charcoal per year;
Tanzania 1.5; Ghana 1.5; Mozambique 1.8; Ethiopia 3.6; Nigeria 3.8. Together
that’s 14 million tons, of 25 million tons consumed in Africa,  compared
with 10 million tons produced in Brazil. Charcoal creates 20 to 40 times as
many jobs as LPG ro kerosene. I don’t want to put those people out of
business. I just want to help them generate power from the energy they are
wasting. The social transition from an earth kiln – where labor and
questionable resources and exchanged for cash - to a fixed kiln business is
a big change. If we can use a charcoal gasifier as part of that transition
in a small business then we can help keep money in rural areas.

I would prefer to convert the oil and tars to gas in a single step out of
the kiln without handling them separately. Make a better quality gas and
burn it in a boiler or engine.

There are companies that are working on advanced gas, heat and power systems
from kins. But it will take a French, Belgian, Australian, South African or
Brazilian company to see profit in putting advanced system into Africa. A
system of that scale would not benefit a village. In practice today power is
generated from charcoal kilns by burning the off gases in boilers that are
also burning wood. Even then the power side is a couple of million dollar
add on to an existing fixed kiln system. Stepping up, biorefineries are
multimillion dollar investments.

I don’t see externally heated gas turbines, Stirling engines, or ORC systems
going into African village charcoal systems. That’s because they cost from
$5,000-$10,000/kWe. So I wonder if we can be creative and do something at a
smaller scale where you don’t use large energy intensive pumps, fans,
blowers made of expensive metals and elaborate controls systems.

Thanks

Tom