[Gasification] reducing temp. of gasification

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 22:08:01 CDT 2011

Dear Henri,
yes it is too complicated. I give below my basic reason for using this process.
India generates
annually about 800 million tons of agricultural waste. Its calorific
value is about 2.5 times that of the 120 million tons of petroleum
that India annually imports. The agricultural waste belongs to farmers
but nobody has shown them how to convert it into high grade fuels that
can be used in driving internal combustion engines. We can convert the
agricultural waste into producer gas, biogas or even coal gas (by
using the charcoal that is left behind in the process of making
producer gas).
When we heat the biomass in a closed vessel, can we add a catalyst to
the biomass so that the producer gas is generated at a lower
temperature? In this way, we would require much less material for
burning outside the reactor vessel. If anybody has already done this
kind of work, is the catalyst known? Once we get producer gas without
nitrogen, we can look at filling it into cylinders and supplying it to
rural people as high grade fuel for using in internal combustion
engines. This activity can be conducted in the rural areas in a
decentralised manner, whereby the agricultural waste from about 20
villages is collected and converted into producer gas. If we declare a
price of say Rs.2000 (about US$45 or UK  Pounds 25) per ton for the agricultural
waste, farmers would bring their waste to the factory at their own
cost.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Henri Naths <c_hnaths at telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Dear A. D. Karve.
> My exact thoughts a while ago was to achieve this temperature with an internal electric arc furnace.
> The resulting gas could be put thru a catalyst. Lately i have been reminded of the efficiency of electro static precipitators and am presently researching their compatibility with producer gas. So: air tight electric  arc furnace fed with co2 preheated feed stock > catalyst>98% cyclone>precip> final water filter cooling>* dryer> co2 removal> o2 injection> ice> recycled co2 hot > preheat feedstock.
> Too complicated? please send me your ideas
> HN
> Sent from iPhone
>
> On Sep 10, 2011, at 11:41 PM, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> one requires about 700C temperature for making producer gas. This is
>> generally achieved by burning the feedstock itself, for which one
>> introduces external air into the reactor. As a result, the producer
>> gas gets diluted by the nitrogen in the air. If the process can be
>> conducted in a closed vessel, which is heated from the outside, one
>> can get combustible gas without all the nitrogen, but heating the
>> feedstock inside a container cannot achieve the temperature that is
>> required for producing producer gas, so that what one gets is
>> primarily tar vapour. Has anyone thought of using a catalyst for
>> getting pyrolysis gas at say 300 C? It would help me greatly, if such
>> a catalyst were available.
>> Yours
>> A.D.Karve

>> for more Gasifiers,  News and Information see our web site:
>> http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/

> for more Gasifiers,  News and Information see our web site:

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)