[Gasification] Wood Chip classificaton

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Apr 11 14:47:05 CDT 2012

Dear Pete

I would suggest that a simpler, and better way to evaluate wood chips is to use a  "Two Screen System." For example, if you used square mesh screen with 1/2"x1/2", and 1"x1" openings, you would end up with 3 products:
1: +1"
2: -1", + 1/2"
3: -1/2"

The APA Gage is intended for a different purpose... to give a reflection of wood fibre length, because that is what is important to Pulp Mills. For gasifier applications, uniformity of size, and the percentage of void space is what is important. The "two screen system" should give screened chips from "between the screen decks" that are much more uniform, and having much better gas flow characteristics.

Best wishes,

Kevin