[Gasification] Wood Chip classificaton

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 12 15:34:53 CDT 2012

Dear Luke

You raise a lot of good points.

On the one hand, you can save a lot of money by running a rig on woodgas. On the other hand, it takes a lot of time to get the fuel, prepare it, and operate the system. Whether or not wood gassing is appropriate for you is a decision that only you can make. It is the same for heating ones house with wood... makes sense for some, but not for others.

Some people can justify a $0 per hour labour cost when working on wood gas, in that it is a fun and exercise thing, and they can get rid of surplus trash wood from their place. Others may have to buy in wood, and may value their "spare time" at say $20 per hour, they may have limited space, limited construction skills and tools, limited storage space, etc. It is more difficult for these latter folk to justify "the cost and bother" associated with wood gas systems.

Each cord of wood you gasify can displace about $470 worth of gasoline, when gas is $US 4 per US Gallon. Each of us has to decide if wood gassing is worth the fun, or the bother, in our own specific situation.

Best wishes,

Kevin