[Gasification] Why would you want to make heating grade woodgas?

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 12 21:20:52 CDT 2012

Dear David

You bring out lots of good points...

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Coote" <dccoote at mira.net>
To: <gasification at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:39 PM
Subject: [Gasification] Why would you want to make heating grade woodgas?

> There's a heap of efficient wood burners (fuelwood, chip or pellet) on the
> market that can convert wood to thermal energy at over 90% thermal
> efficiency LHV. Some of the new condensing systems are even claiming over
> 100% on LHV.

# There are several concepts  here...  it is important to distinguish
between "Combustion Completeness", "Combustion Efficiency", and "Heating
System Efficiency."

# It is relatively easy to get very high, or complete "Combustion
Completeness" with wood gas... this is "completeness of burning of the fuel
gas."

# "Combustion Efficiency", in addition to "Completeness of Combustion", also
implies a minimum of excess air. Thus one could have 100% "Completeness of
Combustion,", but a low "Combustion Efficiency" if there was a large amount
of excess air.

# "Heating System Efficiency" is very dependant on the amount of "heat
recovery surface available" in teh stove or furnace system. For example, one
could have 100% Completeness of Combustion, 90% Combustion Efficiency, with
limited excess air, but only say 40% 40% "Furnace Efficiency", because there
was insufficient heat transfer area to recover the heat for space or process
heating.

# So... a separate gasification system can give much better control over the
fuel burning rate, and the completeness of combustion, but the products of
combustion must be sent to a "heat recovery system" of some sort, in order
to get a good "overall system efficiency.

> So why would you want to go through a distinct gasification process to
> produce gas for subsequent combustion in a burner?

# For one thing, a gasifier system for "Heating Grade Gas", can handle a
wide range of fuel sizes and shapes, with relatively simple feeding systems.
A Pellet Stove, for example, requires uniform, factory made, expensive wood
pellets, while a gasifier system can handle coarsely chunked wood or free
wood chips.

If you're methanating
> the gas like the system developed at Gussing to bring the wood gas up to
> the standard suitable for addition to the natural gas grid that makes
> sense from a technical perspective.

# I don't know the Gussing Process, but producing a wood gas with a heating
value in teh same range as natural gas is well beyond what is considered to
be "Gasification" on this list.

But if you were just wanting to turn
> the woodgas into space heat?

# The simplest way, of course, is to burn the wood directly, if that is
practical. Gasification could be advantageous in the following
circumstances:
1: Where the fuel size and quality is very variable.
2: Where it is desired to keep teh fuel mess and dirt in one location, with
teh wood gas being piped to a stove/boiler/furnace system in another
location.
3: Where it is desirable to have several burner systems in different
locations, supplied from a single gasification unit.
4: A Gasifier system can allow greater control over heat release into the
furnace/stove/boiler.
5: A gasifier could offer fuel handling and feeding advantages.
6: Ash can be basically confined to the gasifier, with little or no ash
passing through the burners to the stove/furnace/boiler system.

# So... there may be "Site Specific Advantages" that justify using a
gasifier, rather than burning the wood fuel directly.

Best wishes,

Kevin