[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 20, Issue 8

David Coote dccoote at mira.net
Mon Apr 16 19:08:56 CDT 2012

On 17/04/2012 5:00 AM, gasification-request at lists.bioenergylists.org wrote:

Apologies, Luke. I edited the previous digest's text to make it shorter
and inadvertently left a line of your earlier message.

I'd just spent the day in the country near Melbourne chatting with a guy
who runs a small sawmill using salvage logs from arborists, farms,
housing development etc We worked out roughly that he's generating about
1500tonnes/annum of waste. He's very interested in using this for local
decentralised energy production. There's an enormous amount of
small-scale biomass assets dotted around the countryside.

Whoever first gets a small-scale gasifier up that meets Knoef et al's
proposed criteria on whether or not a gasification technology is
commercial could do very well. From the IEA workshop report (Knoef,
Buhler and Babu 2007, p5):

1. Continuous integrated plant operation under commercial conditions for
a minimum of 2,000 hours

2. Plant availability of 80% or higher

3. Profitable plant operation without government support; an example is
the sustainable financial support from CHP operations with feed-in rate
for electricity and heat

4. Plant operation without major modifications during the first year of
commissioning

5. Process owners willing to specify investment and operational costs
and offer or arrange performance, service, and maintenance guarantees

6. Process owners ready to offer 'turn-key' plants

Knoef et al also emphasise "that the development, optimization, and
commercialization of first-of-a-kind BMG [Biomass Gasification] process
are challenging and require substantial financial resources" (2007, p4)
and that sale of "5 or more gasification systems of the same
gasification island configuration" is a commercial criterion (2007, p1).

Knoef HAM, Buhler R, and Babu S 2007. Workshop No. 1 (2007-09):
Situation Analysis and Success and Visions for Biomass Gasification IEA.
Retrieved October 1, 2009 from
http://media.godashboard.com//gti/IEA_BRU_11-07.pdf