[Gasification] energy for villages

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:38:24 CDT 2012

Mark

We ended up with a massive 59 degrees spark advance - equivalent to 315mm
or 12.5" on the rim of the 24" diameter Lister flywheel.

The MSD (multi-spark discharge) ignition unit we used produces a long and
multiple spark ignition events - and once set up,  the Lister ran well at
600rpm and produced 2500W electrical output.

We would have run at the maximum of 650rpm - but this particular Lister
shakes badly with some sort of a resonance above 620rpm.  I estimate 3000W
electrical output at the full 650 rpm.

I have a lot of notes to write up to capture the latest series of
experiments - but will happily share them with this group.  The Lister type
engine is very common across the whole of the developing world - that if we
find an effective means to run it efficiently on producer gas- it could
save a lot of people vast amounts of money on diesel fuel.

Hopefully a similar conversion could be found for the Changfa type single
horizontal diesel - as this would liberate the whole of rural south east
asia from a lot of their requirement petroleum diesel fuel. The Changfa is
a more modern engine - and whilst a spark plug can be fitted - access to
the governor is not so easy.

Ken Boak