[Gasification] Screening Char

Peter & Kerry Davies realpowersystems at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 23:37:19 CDT 2012

Don't believe everything you hear about how the "best" biochar is made.
The research promoting this was done by the companies who only have low
temperature pyrolysis systems and have sought to "define" the product
this way. These same companies over here also quote a capital cost of
+$5 million per tonne/hr and a ongoing processing cost of +$20 tonne of
the feedstock!

Professionally conducted trials by Greening Australia, a environmental
NGO here in Oz, has shown excellent results with both nursery and field
trials with low volatile (high temperature) chars including ours which
are >85% fixed carbon. Soil treatments with these higher fixed C chars
responded quicker with higher germination rates and superior growth and
survival rates. Though applying it as a soil amendment may not always be
its best use. High temp chars whilst not strictly "activated" still have
a high iodine number and so could have a place as low cost water
treatment, as well as other uses including pizza ovens...

Take a look at:

http://www.greeningaustralia.org.au/community/news-item?newsItemId=259&state=1&newsListingUrl=community/vic&nationalId=7

http://www.iie.org/en/Programs/Alcoa-Foundation-Advancing-Sustainability-Research/Biochar-and-Energy-from-Trees/Research

Cheers,