[Gasification] ICM gasifier project comes to a close

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Dec 20 12:08:46 CST 2012

The article below demonstrates how difficult it Is to convert urban residues
to heat, power and biochar in today's economy.

I observed that technically the ICM gasifier worked very well. The ICM
gasifier can take wood, straw or corn stover and convert it to gas and
biochar in various proportions. It makes a good quality biochar that has
been tested in various locations. I was impressed by the fuel flexibility.

The economic challenges are manifold: if it is not feasible to generate and
sell heat or power and biochar at one location then you can't generate the
cash flow necessary to run the plant.  We hope that Bert Bennett and his
team at ICM can find a suitable customer.

Tom

ICM gasifier project comes to a close

By Ashley Bergner Newton Kansan

December 20. 2012 11:00AM

<http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.thekansan.com/article/20121220/
NEWS/121229996&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgBIAEoBDAAOABAzqHNhgVIAVgAYgJlbg&cd=mAamQLVPr
YU&usg=AFQjCNGqPGDj3bZoRcalSu1ANFxADLmT9A>
www.thekansan.com/article/20121220/NEWS/121229996

The decommissioning of ICM's prototype gasifier at the Harvey County
Transfer Station marks an end - or at least a postponement - of the county's
vision of a viable waste-to-energy system.
At Monday's county commission meeting, officials announced the project would
be coming to a close, and within six months, all the equipment will be taken
down.

"It would bring to a halt our hopes ... of what would be a waste-to-energy
facility," said John Waltner, county administrator.
ICM's Biomass Gasification System, also known as a "gasifier," burns trash
and converts it to synthetic gas, which can be used to generate power in
industrial and commercial settings. ICM tested thousands of tons of
different types of waste, which are referred to as "feedstocks." Feedstocks
tested included wood chips, wheat straw and refuse-derived fuel (this
includes junk mail, cardboard and other paper products thrown away).

Using a gasifier to convert Harvey County trash into energy had once
appeared to be a possibility. The Harvey County facility likely would have
needed to burn 90 tons of trash per day, a number officials had thought the
county could reach.
ICM plans to try to market the technology in a different area, perhaps
overseas.
Despite the county's disappointment the project wasn't ultimately viable
here in Harvey County, they said their experience working with ICM was
positive.

"It really has been just a terrific exercise for us," Waltner said.

Commission chair Marge Roberson agreed."It feels really good that Harvey
County had the tenacity to push to take a good, hard look at doing something
with trash other than putting it in the ground," she said. "I absolutely do
not regret any moment we've spent with this partnership."

Waltner does believe the technology will be prove to be viable in the
future.

"They're going to be successful," he said of the company. "This is something
that's going to happen."