[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 28, Issue 7

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:16:55 CST 2012

Dear Tom Miles and all

Biochar has changed the options with wood gasification, but there are several questions that need to be answered.

O. Using Toplit Updraft gasification, you have the option of keeping 20% charcoal as a by-product.  In this case, the heat for pyrolysis is more than supplied by the volatile products of pyrolyising the cellulose and converting the lignin to charcoal.  Temperatures in the autopyrolysis bed range from 500-700C, higher than those generating "cowboy" charcoal.

So is this charcoal superior to Cowboy?

O Since wood is typically 50% carbon, and charcoal yield for TLUD gasification is 20%, you will put one CO2 into the atmosphere for every Carbon sequestered as charcoal.  But that's better than letting all the C in the wood turn to CO2 or methane as would otherwise happen.

Comments?

Tom Reed

Thomas B Reed