[Gasification] [biochar] ICM gasifier project comes to a close

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Thu Dec 27 19:16:09 CST 2012

The question I have (what have I missed?) is why the char from either
pyrolysis or gasification, from identical feedstocks, would have higher or
lower ash? I realize that feedstocks that slag on grates during gasification
could affect this, but that aside: are we claiming that a ton of chips
gasified v. a ton of chips pyrolyzed would have substantially different
effects on soil pH? Potassium hydroxide is hard to gasify; where does it go
or why is it less available? Or are we saying because gasifier char is a
smaller (%) by-product--than pyrolysis char--its ash components will be at a
lower concentration? Certainly, kg-for-kg of feedstock the  total amount of
ash will remain constant...won't it?

Mark