[Gasification] [biochar] ICM gasifier project comes to a close

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Mon Dec 31 20:48:43 CST 2012

Hi Gasification Colleagues,

Having just had this interesting exchange about charcoal waste from gasifiers, and how it can be used as biochar to benefit soil and plants alike, I suddenly remembered that I had such wastes still in my Pioneer Class gasifier. These were left over since last June, and I never got back to them due to other priorities. In fact, I failed to report on this June visit from Assistant Professor Keng- Tung Wu from the University of Taiwan, but will add this after the New Zealand holiday season is over.

While we talk about this or that type of fuel being gasified, it is not often that you get to see the resulting affects of four different species gasified at the same time under the exact same conditions, which would be hard to control, and inconsistant between testing of singular species. The photos are clear enough, but the color of the char would not show the black sooty surface, which shows up looking white in the photos. Any tips on how or what may cause this would be appreciated, as any who have seen our reduction charcoals will testify as to its velvet like black surfaces.

The photos can be seen on the Fluidyne Archive.     http://www.fluidynenz.250x.com/

Hope this is of interest to those following biochar projects.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne Gasification.