[Gasification] Steam Turbines

Peter & Kerry realpowersystems at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:58:24 CST 2012

Hi Liran,

The 2 second combustion requirement is an Interesting and slightly
disturbing prescriptive regulator response (that narrows gas use
options), is somebody in authority just guessing and being cautious or
is it based around actual gas analysis results from your plasma
gasification system?

What potential constituents in the gas stream are these requirements
aimed at?

In regard our own experience with gasifying hazardous waste (sewerage
sludge with potential heavy metal contaminants, particularly mercury &
cadmium) the client at the time for this (a large public authority)
would not pay for direct emissions testing covering these so we paid out
of our own pockets for an indirect "indicator" measurement, getting a
ultimate analysis of the raw feed stock and the same test on the ash
collected from the test run, then had a industrial chemist review the
results. This showed the metals identified in the original analysis were
captured within the ash in equivalent amounts relative to the mass
reduction from the original sample (so didn't travel out with the gas).

Is this a problem with Plasma gasification? Are such contaminants
mobilised in the gas instead?

We are currently engaged in the early stages of a formal testing project
involving MSW and other hazardous wastes that will have EPA oversight
and permitting for the trial. The results from this will inform pilot
commercial scale system design and operating parameters in regard to
emission management for our own system, so we are interested in what
other regulator agencies are thinking in regard general gasification
issues that might be flagged along the way.

Otherwise we would agree with Pannierselvam's question. Certainly
subject to your gas meeting all the requirements for gas turbines (not
just energy content) then these combined with downstream HRSG steam
units using this exhaust, perhaps augmented with some  auxiliary firing
if needed, could be another way to meet your regulatory requirement.

At the moment we are unaware of any commercial fuel cells that wouldn't
require a high level of gas polishing and separation without quickly
poisoning the cell, but also would love to hear more.

Regards,
Peter

Peter Davies
Real Power Systems Pty Ltd