[Gasification] Active charcoal

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:58:09 CST 2012

Dear Kevin,
this work was done by a graduate student as a project. At that time he used
our charring equipment, but did not tell us the name of the chemical or its
concentration. It was only later that the Student's guide told me about
calcium chloride, when I met him at a conference. Apparently, one can also
use potassium carbonate. The dry sugarcane leaves were dipped into 5%
solution, removed and dried in the sun. The charcoal was tested in their
laboratory to verify if it was active or not. I don't think anybody
actually makes activated carbon on a commercial scale by this method. That
is why I told Darius that he should conduct his own experiments and test
it.
Yours
A.D.Karve