[Gasification] Active charcoal

Bruno M. brunom1 at telenet.be
Mon Feb 20 22:06:20 CST 2012

Hi Anand,

i think you made a bunch of good ( & cheap) suggestions to Darius,
Calcium Chloride is probably one of the cheapest ( cheaper and easier to
get the K2CO3),
since it is common used as a deicing salt on roads ( up to -20°C) and also
in household humidity absorbers ( & odor eliminator) like eg:
http://www.damprid.com/faq#  )
but its very hygroscopic, need to be stored dry and in closed containers,
so i guess you can't soak your biomass in a 25% solution and then hoping
it to dry in the sun
( in an humid climate ), but 5% may do fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride
Safety: Calcium chloride can get very hot when mixed ( concentrated) in
water, and the dust is an irritant.

But there are many sources of material to make charcoal from and
even so many ways to active those carbons.

My guess is too, that for good activated carbon you need to start from
good char,
that means char made at higher temperatures ( higher temp then normally
needed for bio-char )
800-900 °C. & you like to have low ash content.

Maybe Darius this may also be of interest to you:
www.vcharkarn.com/uploads/78/79040.pdf

http://revroum.getion.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/RRCh_6_2010/Art%2002.pdf

Ones you've done the activation step on your AC,
you will not know HOW active your char is, compared to
commercial AC, & that also depends on your purpose for this AC,
so you'll need some testing of the AC.
Here an example of a big lab specific known for his AC testing service,
with price indication, just you know which kind of test could be done on it.
http://pacslabs.com/activatedcarbon/actesting.php

An example of analyzing different AC made from bagasse:
www.waset.org/journals/waset/v34/v34-36.pdf

A rather simple but much used test, is the 'iodine number' or 'iodine
capacity number',
if you do this on a before and after the activation sample you get a
good impression
of how much more active area has become available.
I guess this can be done on a small budget, and without complex apparatus.
Here is the ASTM Designation: D4607-94
www.czsochem.com.cn/download/ASTM%20Iodine%20test.doc

you may need more tests.

When we know more of the purpose of your AC, and the scale
of your operation we may be able to give more precise advice & tips, i
guess.

Grts
Bruno M.
( chemist)