[Gasification] anaerobicc digester gas for IC engine.

linvent at aol.com linvent at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 04:05:13 CST 2012

     landfill gas has to be cleaned of S, Cl, and Si. Siloxane is a
nasty contaminant in LFG and will coat the inside of the cylinders
literally with sand. It is water soluble, and can be removed with a
water wash, with various enhancements. If the engine is operating in an
area of non-attainment, it may require BACT compliance which means
catalyst on the exhaust which means that the Cl and S have to be very
low and siloxane extremely low. Any contaminant which coats the
catalyst will have to be removed.
     Caterpillar engines were abandoned by the largest bio-gas power
plant installer in the US who went to Guascor because of price and
reliability. I discussed this with him in my day long visit to his
manufacturing plant near Fon du Lac, Wisconsin.I saw a 1 MWe
engine/generator set running at the one dairy we visited. He had
developed simple processes for treating the gas.  Others complained
that the water jacket temperature on the Cat engines had to be raised
to get them to run on bio gas from the high CO2 content, and that
frequent valve seat replacement had to be made.

Sincerely,
Leland T. "Tom" Taylor
President
Thermogenics Inc.