[Gasification] Lanzatech, Range Fuels etc lessons learnt

LINVENT at aol.com LINVENT at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 10:28:55 CST 2012

Dear Dave,
     I fully agree. In a large company which is using it's own resources to
develop technology, they can budget for the hindsight type of process. I
have never seen a budget for this type of work ever provided and should be.
Many of the contracts with DOE which funds these projects as I understand are
not available and although publically funded, should be available for review
for this determination. Also, a lot of the information provided is not
detailed technical information, but just accounting which of course defeats
DOE's role in technical support of development.
     There is also a "not my child" "fatherless" "orphan" (to be polite)
syndrome in the personnel involved try to distance themselves from the failure
as it isn't a good reference. When asked about their participation, they
will respond with oblique answers like "I only worked on a small part of it
which wasn't core to it's blah blah blah" running as fast as they can away
from it.
     I have recommended to the DOE that they compile a list of projects
they have funded and the reasons they didn't meet goals. Some actually did
technically, but not economically and were shut down after the DOE money ran
out.

Sincerely,
Leland T. "Tom" Taylor
President