[Gasification] Identifying and fixing technical and commercial roadblocks to commercial small-scale CHP gasifiers

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Sun Jul 1 12:32:37 CDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 21:42 -0700, Tom Miles wrote:
> A group of arborists on Maui want to generate power and make biochar
> from Eucalyptus. Cutting lumber with a portable sawmill and using the
> sawdust, slabs and edgings to generate power and grow crops is
> something that we dreamed about almost 50 years ago. Can we do it
> today?

Sure, after all we went to the moon in the sixties. The secret here is
to settle into the scheme and make a commitment. One day at a time, day
after day. Some days better some days worse but at the end of the year
steady progress. No frozen time table but only commitment.

> Would you recommend your gas-a-fire for making biochar?

I'm becoming vertical, in order to survive the biomass world, so biochar
was one of the scheme I needed to shied. Not because biochar is a bad
thing but because it's a large study and I'm only one part time person
with only a few hours every year to devote. Because of this I do not
know what kind of charcoal makes good biochar. In other words I can not
honestly answer your question without the charcoal being tested.

I can recommend it for making charcoal along with heating grade producer
gas.

Would Maui be interested in adding a waste plastic to liquid fuel scheme
to their master plan? Nice use for the Gas-of-Fire.

<http://www.energeticforum.com/renewable-energy/7040-how-turn-plastic-waste-into-diesel-fuel-cheaply.html>

Jeff