[Gasification] PE plastic bags & ethylene

Peter & Kerry realpowersystems at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:58:44 CDT 2012

Mark wrote:
> M?xico is Upholstered with PE plastic bags; Pretty damned easy to drop
> back to ethylene and then hydrate the ethylene to ethanol. No, it's
> not biochar. But it is a massive resource going begging for
> utilization. A traveling rig would be fantastic. The really fantastic
> deposits are along the carreteras connecting the many smaller cities
> and towns. Mark

Our view is that the ethylene pathway is likely to be the most
achievable of the gas upgrading options for smaller scale gasification
(1-5 tonnes/hr feed rates). Produced as a co-product through a dedicated
retort with depleted exhaust gases from this used to fuel a generator.
Ethylene is relatively easy to form from CO & H2 as the catalytic retort
needed operates at very modest temperatures and pressures (300oC &
150psi). The ethylene produced can then be compressed and transported as
for LPG. It could be added to existing reticulated natural gas lines,
used directly as a transport fuel or as a feed stock for ethanol &/or
plastics manufacture. The ultimate in recycling, generating virgin
material from used. When we are over the current speed bumps on our
journey we might have a crack at it (excuse the pun).

Peter