[Gasification] Tom Reed Recovering from Fall

Tombreed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 11:30:19 CDT 2012

Dear Mark and all

Thanks so much for your warming words, twice as warming, here in the Fairview Recovery unit of the Worcester Memorial Hospital system.   I fell down 13 stairs, bound to be unlucky, BUT no permanent damage!  I'm recuperating in my daugher's guest suite, dreaming about a Fall cruise!
<><><>
Here's a puzzle for all to chew on.  "Gasification" of wood implies the complete conversion of both the cellulose (80%) and lignin (20%) components.  The tars from the lignin are basically aromatic due to the aromatic structure of lignin, and may be the principle component of the smoke and tar.

The primary fuel is then the cellulose smoke, various volatiles that burn cleanly, leaving no solids.
My expert Friend, Mike Antal, Coral Prof. At the University of Hawaii, could give chapter and verse on the nature of the volatiles from burning celluloses.

Paper and high cellulose paper products could be a much cleaner biomass fuel and are easily pelletized.  Wood pellets have become a major fuel source in the past decade.  Is it possible that paper pellets could be even more important and cleaner and cheaper?

Best wishes to all of you from Tom Reed, back from a bad fall.

Tom Reed

Thomas B Reed