[Gasification] BIOCOAL - THE WOOD FUEL OF THE FUTURE

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:01:14 CDT 2012

Dear Stovers,
I found it very easy to torrefy biomass, using the oven and retort system
of charcoal making. However as far as I understood the process, one does
not remove all the volatiles from the wood during the process of
torrefaction. Can we use torrefied wood in a charcoal burning stove? Would
it not produce smoke and soot? Or does one need a different type of stove
for torrified wood?
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Greg Manning <a31ford at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Tom, Leland Jeff, Mark, List, Etc. (and anyone I missed).
>
> The Idea of torification is a good one, IF, (and only IF), one can also
> use the byproducts of that torification process.
>
> I for one, am (have been) moving in this direction, as it is much easier
> to control, and run a gasifier running on torified product, especially when
> it comes to motive applications.
>
> Tom, I will be doing some tests on a 30 gallon drum (no 55's around here)
> within the week or so, your idea of running it from waste heat off of an
> engine is great (as long as we are only researching), I could (if one was
> currently configured) run a test from a CHP generator set that would be
> running off of torified wood in the first place, however, that will have to
> wait.
>
> until then,
>
> Greg Manning
>

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Tombreed <tombreed2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Dear Mark, Greg and all
>>
>> Thanks for your good wishes, and I am now mobile with a walker.  Lots of
>> time to pursue thermoplastics, pyrolysis and BIOCOAL.
>>
>> <><><>
>>
>> BIOCOAL (290-310C) is a very specific product of WOOD TORREFACTION
>> (200-310C) which may become the ideal end product for wood fuel in the
>> future.
>>
>> Heating wood to 300C drives off all water and some excess H2O and CO2,
>> giving an increase of energy content from ~ 8000 to 10,000 Btu/lb, a
>> friable product easily reduced to face powder particle size for coal-like
>> combustion, pelletization use, and conferring  a waterproof nature.  The
>> emitted gases are combustible, and more than adequate to provide the
>> process heat for roasting, crushing and briquetting. It is superior to coal
>> In lacking suffer and high ash.
>>
>> I wish I was younger and richer.  I believe I would jump into Biocoal
>> with both feet.  Conventional COAL is such an ideal fuel in many ways, and
>> Biocoal fixes the problem areas of sulfur and ash.
>>
>> <><><>
>>
>> Before my fall I was planning to convert a 55 gal drum of wood scrap into
>> BIOCOAL.  I hope someone will try this.
>>
>> At idle the exhaust of a car or truck is about 700C at several ATM
>> pressure.  Two taps, before and  after the muffler should make it possible
>> to withdraw a 300C stream of gas through the barrel of wood and heat the
>> wood to BIOCOAL without allowing overheating.
>>
>> By heating with a 300C gas, one prevents the exothermic continuing of the
>> wood to charcoal at 400 C.
>>
>> Looking forward to a BIOCOAL future,
>>
>> Tom Reed
>>
>> Thomas B Reed
>>

>> On Jul 15, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Greg Manning <a31ford at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Greetings Tom, (and list)
>>
>> Tom, It's great to hear that the fall was not really bad, even though
>> still an inconvenence though.
>>
>> I have one question/answer I would like to pose, and that is....

> [...]

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)