[Gasification] BIOCOAL - THE WOOD FUEL OF THE FUTURE

Arnt Karlsen arnt at c2i.net
Tue Jul 17 07:27:53 CDT 2012

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 05:49:17 -0500, Greg wrote in message
<CAH4eSNoqVwAv+sFiF4=SBtjJaNBP0=ueb4UjT_2enZc92FQeNA at mail.gmail.com>:

> Greetings Thomas, and all.
>
> Here truly is the question,
>
> "Heating value" compared to "engine value".
>
> I don't own fancy test equipment (other than a digital K type
> thermometer and pitot tube, hand full of In/WC gauges and a flow
> gauge), so this is based on speculation and observation.
>
>  .It's my understanding that the "real" heating value is in the
> charcoal, and not the "flames"

..assuming e.g. wood in a wood stove, roughly 3/4 of the heat comes
from the IR portion of those visibly yellow tar vapor flames burning,
and the remainder 1/6 or so comes from the IR portion of the charcoal
burning.
_Very_ little heat in the visible or UV part of the spectrum.

> I'm speaking from the standpoint of
> "warming you to the core" the way a wood stove does, even though you
> cannot see the flames, the infrared portion of the heating value from
> the glowing charcoal, passes through the walls of the stove, where as
> the flames lower light (slower light frequencies) in the visible
> portion of the spectrum are less energetic and only heat the air
> inside the wood stove itself (causing the chimney effect within the
> chimney, through stratification of the said air).
>
>  With that said, does anyone know if my assumption is even somewhat
> correct ? or am I off on my normal "tangent" of thinking ?

..get 2 cheap web cameras, unscrew the lens of one, remove the
IR blocking filter from the lens (and optionally fit a "black"
IR pass filter to block visible light), refit the lens, and
refocus it to get a sharp image.

..leave the other web cam as is, plug in both and _compare_. ;o)

..if you have an IR thermometer handy, you can "calibrate" your
IR camera's IR light response, most web camera sensors will see
IR heat glow down to 1000nm-1200nm or down into the 350-250
degrees Celsius range.

..another thing you'll find, is IR cameras are _easily_ blinded
by the IR light from normal gasifier operations, so test with
e.g. common wood stoves first. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: