[Gasification] Potential Gasification Winner?

LINVENT at aol.com LINVENT at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 17:58:38 CDT 2012

Dear Tom M,
     I think that just because a system operates in EU environs has limited
bearing on it's success in the US or other areas because the EU has active
gov't support of their renewable energy programs to a much larger degree
than here in the US. Also, renewable energy rates in Italy particularly, are
really astronomical and one can afford a lot of costs not tolerated here.
     From my first hand experiece there, the Italian regulatory system is
loosey-goosey. The one Italian I was aware of there was arrested, indicted
for 28 charges of defrauding the government, held under house arrest pending
trial and then the prosecutor dropped all the charges. I know first hand he
and his partner were guilty.
     Some of the EU incinerators operate in excess of permitted levels, but
are not shut down because there isn't an alternative. One group operated
for several years until the investigators found that they had forged the
emission analysis and sent two VPs to jail for doing so and now the $150mm plants
are shut down.
     When I was there watching a 35mm Euro acid hydrolysis plant being
built, I saw them take pipes and weld them together to handle medium pressure
steam and did absolutely no testing on the welds, no dye, X-ray, Ultrasonic or
other which would never fly here. I have to admit the guy welding was one
of the best I had ever seen, but really? One of the engineers on the plant
said that he wasn't going to be there when it started up because he didn't
want to see it blow up.
     Some of the EU folks actively seek US products. I have had lots of
interest from over there, they have even been willing to take care of the EU
registration. Which by the way, one Asian gasifier is registered but does not
have any reference to it's electrostatic precipitator in it's registration
documents. Not sure how this is done either.
Sincerely,
Leland T. "Tom" Taylor
President
Thermogenics Inc.