[Gasification] Flaming pyrolysis modelling of Truncated updraftgasifier

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Tue Jul 31 15:45:28 CDT 2012

Hi Jai,
You ask:

Can any one can tell me about the gasification of horizontal gasification process how the grid can be made and position of the nozzles should be.

The only horizontal gasification that may fit your question, is applied to charcoal gasifiers, and also in a modified version to those used for coal, and then of the better quality like anthracite. In technical terms, you would refer to these as cross draft, which in a bed of charcoal needs no tar burning or cracking to make clean gas. These are not suitable for raw fuels.

In rough dimensions, you have a single water cooled nozzle/steam generator that should be able to slide in and out to set the best oxidation lobe position, so that the distance between the grate and nozzle can vary from say, 20-25cm (8-10").
The nozzle bore can be 2-3cm, or smaller depending on the output you seek. I am sure you will find very specific information in any books discussing charcoal gasifiers. The water is fed to the nozzle by drip control, and the steam generated is added to the in going air, to make up the hydrogen content of the gas.

The grate should have vertical bars about 1cm apart and say 10x10cm for a smaller output, and about 15x15cm if you use a larger nozzle.

Because ash will form along the underside of the oxidation lobe, you will need to be able to drop the char bed by shaking a second support grate located about 5cm under the air nozzle. Failure to do this will see the ash melt and clinker form.

I suggest you read up on charcoal gasification before you build anything, but it is hard to fail when the fuel is just charcoal.
You can see an old one from WW2 on the Fluidyne Archive  www.fluidynenz.250x.com  under Australian WW2 gasifier. These were photos, not digital, so not sure if I can find any shots of the insides, but will try and find them if this is what you have in mind for you project.

Hope this helps.
Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.