[Gasification] 2 MWe Gasifier at University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

linvent at aol.com linvent at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 18:32:15 CDT 2012

Dear Tom,
     Nice, pricey system.
Tom Taylor

Sincerely,
Leland T. "Tom" Taylor
Thermogenics Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com>
To: 'Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification'
<gasification at lists.bioenergylists.org>; mark <mark at ludlow.com>
Sent: Sun, Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm
Subject: Re: [Gasification] 2 MWe Gasifier at University of British
Columbia, Vancouver, Canada

Thomas, Mark, I think it is best to let them run for a year and work
out the kinks before we second guess efficiencies. Let’s hope they can
get the kinds of run time and capacity factors that Babcock Volund and
Repotec report.I am sure they will report once they are running
smoothly. I’m interested to see where they are a year from now in
operation and maintenance costs, efficiencies and overall reliability.
Judging from their other plants and from what I see I would say their
prospects are good.  This is an installation that is only a few miles
 from the Nexterra head office and not far from similar gasifiers that
Nexterra has  have at a local paper mill. As Thomas would say, the baby
is not too far from the parents so when it cries they can respond
quickly. And they know where to find good quality, local, fuel.  The
heat output is larger than stated on their website. I haven’t discussed
this with them but they did say that the heat load is the primary
benefit of the system. Power generation is secondary. The university
pays much more for natural gas than we would pay in Oregon at
industrial rates. Plus the province has a carbon tax. So heating with
wood is desirable. Perhaps for this they increased the size of the
boiler.  If I remember correctly the jacket water dries the fuel (in a
Stella down flow belt dryer). The boiler is fed with engine exhaust and
directly with gas from the gasifier. The gasifier can drive either
heat, power or both.  Tom    From:
gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org