[Gasification] [Spam] Re: Identifying and fixing technical and commercial roadblocks to commercial small-scale CHP gasifiers

EP Engineering npa at ep-engineering.dk
Fri Jun 29 02:49:08 CDT 2012

Dear Tom

I agree with you more or less all the way. The utilities in Denmark speak
about the first 700 hours in full operation, since you will afterwards only
encounter 2 - 3% of all possible failures. In other words you have solved
the 98%.

The forerunner of our gasification system was sold by the manufacturer all
over Europe without the company being aware of the system idea and expected
performance. I initiated the development and was the project leader on the
subsidized development back in early 90'ties, but I was too expensive for
the rather small company to stay on after the successful prototype. No need
to say they went into bankruptcy.

I am not doing the same failures on the final model and your list is by the
way the exact route I'm trying to follow - hoping to have the boiler company
in by this summer.

We concentrate on small systems running on local difficult and wet biomass
and residues. We don't screen the biomass - we size all of it - hence we
have no waste left. For a long time we ran on wood chips classified for
district heating and utility boilers. Since it resulted in too many call
outs, the host just decided to have a finer sized chip from this summer.

We have been running 3.000 hours on a 400 kW thermal unit. 1.700 hours - on
the rough chips - in a row this year on the running prototype. We combust
the gasses in a nearby cyclonic combustor and CO is like 0 - 4 ppm at 4-5%
O2. We haven't had dust measurements but they will be carried out later this
year - if we get the boiler company in. From the prototype back in 1992 we
had only 40 mg/nm3. This time we expect 10 mg/nm3 or even less if we apply a
hot gas filter which is the case in the hopefully coming zero series # 1.

We have demonstrated integrated drying with superheated atm. press. steam,
use of the steam in gasification in the Low Temperature Thermo Chemical
Reactor (LT TCR), burn out of the gasses at 1250 - 1300 °C and very clean
boiler operation. We can do a full burn out of the chars and we can make a
biochar that is activated and holds all nutritional matters in plant uptake
conditions as well as having a water holding capacity.

The phase B prototype will fire a 100 bar, 500°C steam boiler to run a steam
engine at 50 kW electric performance. We expect a start up late July this
year of the steam system. The steam boiler is of the generator type that
normally only will accept oil or gas. Hence the high demands on the
gasification process - but we don't care about tars - they burn well - and
create no soot at these combustor temperatures.

If the boiler company fails to invest in us, we are ready for others.

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Nils Peter Astrupgaard