[Gasification] Fwd: For Your Safety from Shell Oil Company - THIS IS NOT A JOKE! Clash of technologies.

Ronald Hongsermeier rwhongser at web.de
Sun Mar 18 07:02:37 CDT 2012

Dear Dr. Thomas Reed,

Pardon me, but I think you're being somewhat imprecise in your language
here. I think you might be right that air laden with gasoline fumes must
be displaced. If you put 15 gals of something in it displaces 15 gallons
of something else. This is why we don't allow smoking on the apron at
the airport. However, a cigarette burning or a piece of glowing ash
thereof is a completely different animal than the energy level generated
by a cell-phone. Jet fuel is considerably different than gasoline, is
considerably different  from diesel, etc.  _And_ 15 gallons of
gasoline-fume-laden air being mixed with ambient air is not the same as
15 gallons of fuel. Also, don't most gasoline pumps recover at least
part of the fumes?

I have only tanked with gasoline for a short period here in Europe and
on too seldom trips to the USA over the last 20 years and I think that
people talking on cell phones while their tanking is bad practice just
because I think you should concentrate while doing so. If we tank an
aircraft with passengers on board at the airport, a full crew from the
airport fire department has to stand by mounted up, suits on with the
pumper engine running. So I think it also good practice when you're
filling up your car that everyone get out and stretch their legs, make a
potty stop, etc. Everyone will be in a better state of mind and body
afterwards.

regards,
Ronald von Handyheaven