[Gasification] Problem with "Re: Producer gas without nitrogen"

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 07:37:52 CDT 2012

Dear Anand Karve and All:

The atmosphere contains 21% O2 and 79% nitrogen+argon, unreactive gases.

The temperature of air flames is about 2000C.  If you used only oxygen, the temperature would be ~10,000 C except for the fact that the H2O and CO2 products of combustion dissociate into H, OH, CO, etc., high energy molecules that limit the oxygen flame temperature to about 3,000C.  But heat transfer from the oxygen flame is about 5X that of air flames, which is why it used for welding.

If you used oxygen instead of air to make producer gas, it would have a combustion energy of 300btu/standard cubic foot (scf).  Since Producer gas from air has 50% N2, it has a combustion value of ~150 Btu/scf.

Natural gas has has a combustion value of 1,000 Btu/scf, over six times that of air producer gas!  It is stored at a pressure of 3,000 psi in heavy steel cylinders.  Methane, natural gas, is ubiquitous.  Very occasionally it is used to run cars.  But cylinder and compression costs are very high.

Wood has a combustion energy of 8,000 Btu/lb or 160,000-300,000 Btu/cubic foot for soft to hard woods.  So it is practical to carry the wood alone and a 300 lb gas generator if you don't have access to gasoline/diesel, which have an energy content of ~1,000,000 Btu/scf.

These are non obvious "facts of life", but they explain why we value petroleum so highly and seldom use wood for transport.

Your wet blanket,

Tom Reed