[Gasification] Myanmar: Engineering society preparing code for gasifier standards

Robert Kana sinan at biomassindo.com
Mon Mar 19 09:13:26 CDT 2012

Dear Dr. Reed and Mr. Miles,
It sounds like these people can use some valuable advise. We have been
working on rice husk gasifiers in Indonesia in the past couple of years,
mostly for chicken waste gasification. We keep the reactor under 500 C,
result is a good quality fertilizer with biochar.
Unfortunately there are so many companies in SE Asia, keep the reactor
very hot and they use water to cool the gas. Almost all the gasifiers I
have seen in those countries, ash is also removed by water. Gas coming
out the gasifier is so hot, they need smaller ponds to cool it down,
even for a smaller size gasifiers. They do not have a separate particles
pools, no filtering system, where the tar can be collected and used as
fuel again.
In these countries, building a 20 Kw gasifier costs less than a $ 1000.
Unfortunately their gasifiers also burns so dirty, there are no tar
cracking, and filtering. I have even seen on a 100 Kwe gasifier reactor
area was cooled with water, than same water wash the ash out, directly
to a well dug very close to gasifier. One can imagine what will happen
to ground water around this well. It is like spilling poison on the
ground, continuously.
They probably need a better design of rice husk gasifier, simple
filtered cooling pool, better ash collection system ( ash can be used
for many different purposes) and effective training for the users.
Knowing the departments and ministries involved in these kind of
projects, they will probably use the same people who built these faulty
gasifiers, as consultants. Hope you can get a chance to work with NGO's
which can do good for the local people and environment.
Regards,
Robert