[Gasification] Fwd: For Your Safety from Shell Oil Company - THIS IS NOT A JOKE! Clash of technologies.

Craig Kernan craig at postcollapse.org
Mon Mar 19 12:59:35 CDT 2012

Almost any complex device using electricity can have or develop faults
that produce sparks or high local temperature capable of igniting
gasoline vapors in air. Some designs and manufacturing processes will
make this very unlikely, others less so.

  Demonstrations make good PR but don't prove the impossibility or
establish the chances of things happening for other equipment or conditions.

  If you want to have high confidence that it won't happen offer a well
advertised $1000 prize for anyone who can show how to make it happen.

However two thing make such events unlikely even for bad designs

1.  In most such failures the device would fail before it happening at a
gas pump.

2.  Most failures would be adequately isolated from the gasses by the case.

Recent physical damage could, however, make both these untrue.

If doors are opened then one must also consider conditions of chargers,
the connections, and phone being charging which are more likely to be
sources of ignition.

Cheers,

craig