[Gasification] (OT) First Biomass Gasifier for Rural Electrification in Philippines inaugurated by Gov. Angara-Castillo

Ronald Hongsermeier rwhongser at web.de
Sat Mar 31 04:35:50 CDT 2012

Dear Jeff,

I may have given the impression that the leak is nothing to worry about.
It appeared to me that the motherjones article was saying contradictory
things. Now it appears to me that they were at least unclear. It's more
complicated than anything I had seen until this morning.

The reporting momentarily seems to be a combination of things already
reported and partly contradicting some of the wildly dramatic
statements, (sadly normal overstatements within the "environmentally
aware" community). The actual source of the leak is not the same gas
source as the main source for the well. It is a natural gas source of
much smaller size bored through in the course of reaching the main
source c. 6 km under the surface of the sea bottom (avg. depth below sea
level 90 m) The seal on this smaller pocket has become defective and
there is gas leaking from both the bottom and above surface at the
platform. This makes for a fire and explosion danger, but one that is in
the range of big problem, but not catastrophic. The pocket has a much
lower pressure than the main source and doesn't pose the same pollution
problem as the other source.

Quote: "Hauge said that since the leak appeared to come from a gas
pocket at lower pressure and smaller volume than Elgin's main reservoir
"we move from a worst case scenario to a bad case scenario. But this is
not a good case scenario as long as gas is leaking."

Hauge is an environmentalist apparently from Norway. So it's unlikely he
is understating the danger. : link to full story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/29/north-sea-oil-gas-leak-source-found

regards,

Ronald von Pressurereliefhausen