[Gasification] Small scale power plants?

Kenny Redd kenredd at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:34:02 CDT 2012

Thanks Doug and Tom for responding to my inquiry,

A little clarity is in order.  I am a designer for an R&D company that
tends to contract to Federal agencies.  I have discussions with top level
decision makers within the company.  I have pointed out the US Army's seven
billion dollar energy acqusition program and have suggested that my
employer consider a Power Producing Agreement (PPA) with the Army.  I have
suggested that Federal lands provide the space for biofuel crops.  These
crops would ultimately be converted via pyrolysis to a coal surrogate that
can be handled like fossil coal.  However, the PPA power would likely have
to be distributed in a decentralized, on-site fashion and on a scale much
smaller than the typical gigawatt power plant.

It's not my interest to employ gasification as the fuel product, but as
part of the process to produce a transportable, exportable, friable, solid
fuel from the feedstocks.  My review of the gasification industry shows
that the technology for producing the "bio-coal" is mature and readily
available.  However, it doesn't appear there are small scale, power-plants
suitable for on-site power production.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again, and Bioenergylists is one of the best forums on the web.