[Gasification] Regarding Combustion Quality of Producer gas

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Thu Oct 11 03:20:11 CDT 2012

Hi Vikrant,

You ask an interesting question:

I have a question regarding combustion quality of PG.
When we talk about natural gas, in short 'Methane index/Methane Number' provide combustion quality. For gasolin/petrol it is 'octane rating'. Can we use 'Methane number' as indicator for PG also ??

According to this Paper    http://web.iitd.ac.in/~pmvs/ICengines/paper13.pdf  the answer is a qualified yes, but when you look at the gas analysis of the mixed gases used for the tests, they seem a little out of step and too clinical for practical application. The realities of PG is that it's quality and gas analysis covers a wide spectrum, therefore creating extreme variations of the knock point of the combustion cycle, and this was the conclusions of this Paper.

Hope this is of some help.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne Gasification.