[Gasification] Regarding Combustion Quality of Producer gas

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 12:27:35 CDT 2012

Alex,

We* found that the Lister had to be significantly advanced when running on
woodgas in spark ignition mode.

It was anticipated that we might have to be 20 degrees BTDC, but when the
engine was finally running well, it was found to be around 57 degrees BTDC.

The Lister has a 24" diameter flywheel, thus a 75.4" circumference. Our
optimum ignition point was found to be 12" on the rim ahead of the TDC
position.

The Lister rpm was limited to 600rpm because of an undesirable resonance
around 610rpm - a quirk of the specific engine we were using at APL.
Normally the 6hp Lister should rev to 650rpm without vibration.

Marcus Hardwick and I wrote up most of the technical detail here

http://wiki.gekgasifier.com/w/page/30448258/Spark%20conversion%20for%20Lister%20slow%20speed%20diesel%20engines

We* - the Lister team at the April APL workshop consisted of Ron Ohler,
Andy Schofield, Marcus Hardwick, myself and contributions from other
workshop delegates.

regards

Ken