[Gasification] Waste Gasification and Pyrolysis

Ed Woolsey woolsey at netins.net
Sun Aug 25 17:28:01 CDT 2013

Tom Reed,
You are correct once again...imo.  As a fifth generation Iowa farmer with
some biomass energy experience as well as some political scars, I know that
I'm likely not telling some of you anything new when I say that this is an
uphill slog.

The best likelyhood of this type of system being built and propagated is in
the developing parts of the world.  It is there that the corporate
intrenched energy and ag interests may not be entirely in contol ...yet.

To develop and operate these systems at a large scale requires the
generation of electricity which in turn requires the sale of electricity at
a fair rate.  This is impossible or improbable in my experience, as
utilities...even "not for profit" utilities see any outside generation as
competition or a threat to their protected service territories, and have
historically squashed it like a bug...or at least quietly worked behind the
scenes to stop any success.

  Building and operating a system...inside the fence...means charging off
the generated electricity at an "industrial rate" .. that is usually 3-5
cents/kWh around here.  haha  Running a co-gen bio system at a scale small
enough to stay below the utility radar seems next to impossible.

Getting AG public policy past US congress that is targeted to these system
(REAP, BioPwrRural EcoDevo) requires pass through USDOE or USDA which
perhaps well meaning folk, is not for the faint of heart or anyone above 50
years old if they want to live long enough to see the results.

Working with USDA... remember I'm from Iowa....unfortunately for most
here...means most policy incentives are and will be... targeted at the
largest of the corporations.  Once again, if these "big boys" can't
patent...they will take the gov $$'s but will walk when it's time to
commercialize. (been there, seen it)

So...while I'm not optimistic about US development...or our future for that
matter, I am optimistic about the technologies...gasification/bio-char for
example.  Perhaps someone on a small island with a biomass waste stream and
a small independant electricity grid system would like to use the bio-char
to ramp up local veggie production.  :)

If so, please let me know....I'd love to come see it something.   gods speed
to you.
Ed
Iowa

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:38:08 -0400