[Gasification] Small steam systems plus gasifiers for electricity

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Dec 1 17:20:14 CST 2013

Thomas,

In most cases that we have looked at you need about US$0.25/kWe for power and low cost fuel to make a gasifier CHP system work. In the case of the California gasifiers they are using waste fuels, generating at peak electricity rates (~$0.18/kWh), and selling biochar as a co-product at $0.75/lb. There is no market for recovered heat.

It is very difficult to be a small power producer in the US because there is opposition from the utilities that buy the power. Small systems are usually charged very high fees (demand charges, connection fees) and offered low prices for the power. It often takes political persuasion to make a small plant into a commercial position.

In our Alaska projects high energy prices (~$0.65/kWh) provide an incentive to generate power but running a gasifier is a lot of work. Fuel oil might be expensive but it is convenient so there is less enthusiasm for it. Often the heat load is residential. Buildings and housing are small and disperse  which means that you have to build an extensive district heating system to offset high fuel oil costs. There are always challenges.

Gasification is a new management activity for remote communities or small business. They should always start with a boiler or heat demand. The best place for a boiler or gasifier is where you are already handling biomass fuels and can fully benefit from combined heat, power and biochar.

Tom