[Gasification] Small steam systems plus gasifiers for electricity

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Dec 2 22:39:09 CST 2013

Jeff,

We find that biochar from a downdraft gasifier composted 15% v/v with
alfalfa and wood chips makes a very nice compost. We have used it as a
substitute for a vermiculite-peat-bark blend. Tree seedling response is
generally good. Some species are pH sensitive and the alfalfa pushes the
compost pH up so adjustments need to be made. In Japan Dr. Ogawa rinses high
pH grass (bamboo) chars to reduce soluble alkali before application to the
tree root zone.

Biochar-peat and biochar-coco peat blends work well.

So if you have a gasifier in a location where there is no market for power
you can make heat for greenhouses and a char byproduct that you can compost
for use in the greenhouse. We estimate that the combined savings from the
heat (propane) and soil amendments for a 10 MMBtuh (3 MW) system are about
$350,000 per year.

David Yarrow likes chars from grasses. You can make char in your
grass-a-fire.

Tom