[Gasification] Biochar et al.

David Murphy djfmurphy at dodo.com.au
Mon Dec 9 01:43:29 CST 2013

Robert, I haven't got any thoughts on Hugelkultur
I'm sorry to say.   Actually, never heard of it
before !

Clay won't get you any mileage.   You want basalt
dust.  The fines are an unwanted by-product fromn
a quarry.    You want it as fine as possible, like
talc actually and what buy from a quarry will have
some of this, but only a small percentage.    The
bulk will be maybe 2 - 3mm, pretty small and it
will work, but the smaller the better.   Bacteria
are surface feeders and the smaller the particle,
the greater the surface area and therefore the
higher the pupulation of bacteria you can
support.   To get a good result from rock dust,
you should use it with compost.

DJM.