[Gasification] raising H2 concentration in downdraft gasification

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 16:06:38 CST 2013

Dear Rex and All;

Merry Xmas and happy synthesizing.

Rex must be a chemical engineer because he has outlined the problem nicely below.

A partial solution is reaction of only the 80% cellulose in the wood to make a synthesis gas:

C6H10O5 + 1/2 O2 ===> 6 CO + 5 H2

And leaving the 20% lignin behind as charcoal (Biochar) for soil enrichment and atmospheric CO2 reduction.

Reaction of part of the CO with water reduces the unbalance to an excellent synthesis gas:

 6 CO + 5 H2 + 3 H2O ===> 3 CO + 8 H2. ||   ==> 3CH2 (oil)  + 3 H2

Leaving enough excess H2 to drive the reaction forward.  Toplit Updraft gasification consumes the cellulose , leaving the lignin as Biochar.

<><><>

I am an expert in molecular sieves, and have made a quantity of a Fischer Tropsch catalyst with one isolated Fe atom per unit cell.  Should make a low MW diesel.

<><><>

If anyone has the means, and would like to pursue this, contact me privately with an offer.

Tom Reed

Dr. Thomas B Reed
280 Hardwick Rd
Barre, Ma 01005