[Gasification] [biochar] Pine char gasification

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Dec 26 22:06:15 CST 2013

Kevin,

There were 50 of us from the International Biochar Initiative following the IBI conference in Rio in 2010.  There is a brief report on the IBI website. Our visit was organized and hosted by EMBRAPA, the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation. We were accompanied by EMPRABA researchers who have studied terra preta at these and other sites for many years. Researchers, like Newton Falcao, have shared their research internationally in English and Portuguese. They have taught and hosted researchers from the many institutions in the US, Germany and elsewhere, that we associate with terra preta. Paul Anderson and I interpreted their explanations from Portuguese to the group. Paul had visited the sites before. EMBRAPA had prepared pits for us at three different types of TP sites so we were able to climb down and inspect the soil in the pits and look, feel and smell the soil that had been removed. We saw the crops that were traditionally grown on the soils and the researchers extracted soil samples for us around the modern crops so that we could see the depth of the char at different distances from the river. When I compare those experiences with the extensive data, mapping and documentation that is available it builds the kind of picture that Schmidt describes. It is clear that people live along the river today much where they lived before. Commerce along the river is said to be substantially reduced. It is a long hike from interior waters to the river.

If you take the time to observe the work that has been done, and continues to be done, on Terra Preta you'll find a wide, extensive and very scientific body of work in many languages. Collaborative international studies continue in many areas of the endless river and its tributaries.  Schmidt's work is an example of how new scientific tools are continually brought to bear on the topic.

If muck in oxbow lakes exists in the Amazons they haven’t been calling it terra preta. They undoubtedly have other names for it.

Tom