[Gasification] Aquaculture was Pine char gasification

Richard richrd at nas.com
Fri Dec 27 11:51:34 CST 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 3:35 AM, Kevin C <kchisholm at ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Tom

>> aquaculture site,s that they may have spread on their croplands, may
>> have been "Fish Manure."
>>
>> A practice that we did see but the water was pumped into a pond from the Amazon. The fish manure from the pond was spread on the land. All used to replenish the TP land. Not claimed as a traditional practice. The farmer had to deal with the occasional piranha pumped from the river.
>
> # Merely "pumping water from the Amazon" is far different from collecting the waste from fish raised in a "contained" pond, and spreading it on the fields for the intended purpose of adding nutrients to the soil. It is important to know the "fish poo density" in the water. Obviously, 1 pound of fish poo per gallon would be expected to have a far more observable effect on plant growth than would a "fish poo density" of 1 pound per 1,000 gallons.

Tom - Fish 'Poo' is not a biologically stable material, especially in the tropics. I suspect within hours, days or weeks the nutrients carried in the manure and urine will be converted to bacterial, plant and fish biomass. The resulting muck is more likely to represent plant material (algae).  While in Angatuba, Sao Paulo State I visited a aquaculture (Tilapia and other indigenous species) facility owned by a goat dairy farmer. I've got nicely photo documented. He had a series of ponds and a clever diversion system from a stream. It's aquaculture use was as fish the secondary product for dairy waste.

Rich H