[Gasification] Wood heating in the UK - whole log gasification

Jeff Davis jeffdavis0124 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 17:47:18 CST 2013

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the interest!

> This is my main unknown as yet,  how would a split log combust and
> pyrolise, if presented to the ember bed, cut end first.  I suspect
> that there would be little penetration of heat axially, directly
> through the end, because the ring structure presents a tough barrier.
> Therefore, most burning would have to come radially, and so air
> nozzles would have to be positioned to act radially on the sides of
> the log.

OK, I should try cutting the wood at 45 deg instead of 90. Interesting!

> In your design, it looks similar to a Rocket, but with the fuel
> container near vertical.  However, the top loading hatch looks fairly
> airtight?  - so unlike a rocket, there is no air drawn through fuel.

The next test run will be at almost vertical and more distance between
the tube and grate.

This has only run for short periods of time but once it's burning OK I
have been leaving it up. In the middle of the door is an adjustable air
inlet. It's rusted open because of the nasty acidic coal that was burned
in it for a few years.

> Nevertheless it appears to burn well and produces a healthy amount of
> good sized charcoal.  I would be very interested to know how it copes
> with a larger log. Perhaps by way of experiment, one could be loaded,
> instead of the 2" material, to see how it fairs - this would be very
> useful information.

In due time.

Best wishes,
Jeff