[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 30, Issue 1: ORC, gasifier, SRC systems at around the 2MWe level

David Coote dccoote at mira.net
Fri Feb 1 17:25:57 CST 2013

Hi Tom,

I'm doing a bit of work in this space at the moment. How did you define
Btu's below for the Btu/kWh efficiency calculation?  Was it from the HHV
or LHV of the original biomass fuel?

When you say steam + ORC is that off an existing boiler? The ORC vendors
claim that you can get 20% electrical efficiency at the 2MWe system
level using a biomass system heating thermal oil that would run at much
lower temperatures and pressures than a similar SRC system. Hence
cheaper operations and maintenance costs. I haven't managed to find data
yet on the cost delta between thermal oil biomass systems and the more
common biomass systems heating water/steam.

Regards

David