[Gasification] mycoremediation of tarry water

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Fri Feb 1 22:33:40 CST 2013

Hi Stuart,

The goal in large-scale steam generation (powerplants as
well as warships) is to produce steam above the critical
point-steam with a pressure of 3206 psia (221 bar) and a
corresponding saturation temperature of 705degF (374degC)-a
region where there is no meaning to the words "vapor" or
"liquid". There is only a single phase in this
"supercritical" region. When this steam is expanded through
power turbine nozzles it expands and the pressure is
reduced. The result is very dry superheated steam which
returns to the sub-critical realm and is recycled back to
the steam generator.

Your Navy friend was talking about something much different
than any of us are likely to encounter while trying to tap
the energy from a biomass gasifier. The metallurgy itself is
extremely important in these operating regions. 300 psig is
another world altogether yet who of us feels totally at ease
next to one of these boilers? (After 25-years I'm still
squeamish.)

Can't all of that high-entropy heat that needs to be "sunk"
from an ORC system be used to dry a fuel source that would
otherwise be completely unusable?

Mark