[Gasification] Gas sensors - note

Pete & Sheri spaco at baldwin-telecom.net
Sat Feb 9 08:41:29 CST 2013

To: Terrence

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------

From: Gasification [mailto:gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On
Behalf Of Terrence Sauve
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 4:43 PM
To: gasification at lists.bioenergylists.org
Subject: Re: [Gasification] Gas sensors - note

Regarding the Post of Pete and Sheri below:

Message: 16
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 13:11:17 -0600
From: "Pete & Sheri" <spaco at baldwin-telecom.net>
To: "'Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification'"
        <gasification at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Subject: Re: [Gasification] mycoremediation of tarry water

Note on inexpensive CH4, CO and other combustible gases.
Most likely, these gas sensors operate on the electrochemical basis. If you
want to monitor these gases in producer gas, it wont work. You will need
properly calibrated IR or NIR (near infrared) sensors. Very expensive. And
yes, that flow regulator for the cal gases is expensive.
Electrochemical sensors "combust" the gases. You need air, close to what we
have in fresh air. Moreover, CO sensors are thrown off by H2, which you have
quite a bit in producer gas.
In biogas systems, CH4 and CO2 gas analysers ( IR and NIR basis) retail at
about 10k$ US. Portable units maybe a bit less. The gas needs to be dried a
bit, otherwise need special cooler/filter. I think moisture will throw off
one or both of the measurements.

I'm shopping for a Testo or a Bachrach right now for a wood boiler
demonstration. A continuous measurement unit is also around 10-13 k$ US for
O2, CO2, CO, flue gas temp, delta P and some other parameters. I'll also
need a pitot tube for flow rate in the chimney pipe if we want emission
values.

Cheers,
Terrence