[Gasification] Power Pallet

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Thu Jan 31 01:02:21 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:
> In the 1980s the University of California at Davis ran a lot of engines on
> rice husks gasified in downdraft gasifiers. There are many rice mills
> powered by rice husk gasifiers today. There are trade-offs with fine fuels
> but it can be done.

yes, but remember that all that run these fuels to date are doing so
by tolerating a dirty gas non tar solving reactor, and fighting the
tar problem in the filtering.  on the low tech end this is nearly
always a water scrubbing system, which really just moves the toxic
problem somewhere else, and actual real world running is highly
unattractive.  yes, it will work for the demo, but the ongoing issues
with the bongwater cofferdam challenges health, regulatory and general
pleasurable concerns.

everyone who actually runs these systems do not like them.  most of
them call/write us wanting a small and clean system without all this
mess.  and sadly we have to tell them we can't yet do it for their
fuels.  yes, our system will "run" rice husks, but it will not do it
to a clean enough gas for our filtering system to process.
nonetheless, the reactor will make gas from rice husks just like these
others, i just don't think that is adequate.

i would suggest that we aren't really "running a reactor on rice
husks" until we are reasonably solving the tar issues in the reactor
during the process, and not tossing them downstream.  a open core
reactor will not control the zones and cracking conditions adequately
enough to do this.  even the multi stage air inject systems still
don't get there, though they are much better, yet still require a big
downstream filtering solution.

until you can get rid of most of the downstream filtering system, you
will not be able to deliver a full system with reasonable use
logistics and price points.  solving problems with more complexity and
more parts tends to render the end only relevant for the government
financed.  this is what we're trying to avoid.

my biases of course . . .

> Tom

Jim Mason
Website: http://www.whatiamupto.com