[Gasification] Looking for contact info for Jeff Davis

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 09:36:00 CDT 2013

Lori, he posted yesterday on charcoalgasifiers at yahoogroups.com
Gary Gilmore is the moderator of that group, and he has posted some
videos on YouTube showing how to make charcoal using a two barrel TLUD
system.  I copied his design, and have made 124 barrels of biochar and
charcoal. There are three videos, and here is the first one:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wgTb9i8g14>
In my system, I separate the barrel containing the biomass from the
chimney barrel with two pieces of 1/2" rebar for secondary air.  There
are 1/2" holes spaced about 3" apart all around the bottom of the
lower barrel for primary air, and when these holes are "illuminated"
or glowing, I shovel dirt/clay over all of them.  Use lots of dirt or
clay because these holes must not allow any air into the barrel.  Then
remove the chimney barrel and cover the bottom barrel with an airtight
lid.  (I use a very heavy flat plate of steel.)  I use wadded paper
balls from old training materials (Xerox paper b/w) and small branches
to get the top lite really well.  There is no smoke except when you
first add the steel cover, if you get a good bed of char on top of the
biomass in the barrel.  During the burn, it may be necessary to add
very small branches and more paper balls if you see any sign of smoke,
such as if your material is a bit green or damp.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Lori Heath <rootconnection at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for the biochar retort design that used to be featured at the
> following website address...
>
> http://www.puffergas.com/historic/rules/rules.html
>
> However, now when I click on this address, it redirects to Jeff Davis's site
> on Bioenergy Lists.
>
> Does anyone know where I could find the design I am looking for, and/or the
> contact information for the designer?
>
> Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Lori Heath
> St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Ray  Menke