[Gasification] Looking for contact info for Jeff Davis

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 15:02:03 CDT 2013

Lori, I looked at your answers to Kevin's questions.  I am assuming
that wood CHIPS are your intended source for making biochar.  I had
six dump truck loads of chips delivered to my composting area, and
immediately mixed them with cow manure, grass clippings, chicken and
duck manure, etc, and started two giant compost piles.  The green
chips as delivered by the road crews will not be usable in gasifiers
or biochar retorts until they are bone dry, and even then, I never was
able to add more than a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets of them to
the retort to fill in some of the gaps.  After several years, when you
screen the compost, there will be some chips and shards of wood that,
after they are dried, can be added to your retort.  Due to years of
drought, we have lots of dead trees that have been falling down or
have been blown over.  I use those for the charcoal making process,
and can include heavy duty stalks from other plants such as rattlebox,
corn, okra, and lambsquarters, and even the stalks from thistles.  Any
wood you place in a TLUD device, whether it be a cookstove or a 55
gallon retort must be really dry.  (No green wood!)  I sometimes use
knots, "Y's" or other non-splittable wood in the retort, but it
usually needs to be run through twice.  It is possible to place
another retort in the afterburner (or chimney) so it can utilize the
heat from the lower retort.  Once you start the retort, and if you see
flames shooting out of the top barrel, you might get away with adding
a shovel or two of chips, but too many and you will have a real smoke
maker.  I try to make no smoke..
You will need to make some drying racks.  I use several large screens
up on saw horses.  The fuel must be dry.