[Gasification] Charcoal/Biochar making

Energies Naturals C.B. energiesnaturals at gmx.de
Thu Mar 28 08:37:50 CDT 2013

Dear Pyrolysis/gasification List,

yesterday evening I had a meeting with 2 members of my local "village government".

Their prob is a big pile of vegetable matter, trees, shrubs, palm tree rests et c., which must be shredded before the summer comes because of the fire risk.

The next question is what to do with the shredded material.

Today I read about Tom's experience with "autopyrolisis" and this might be an answer.

The shredder is a conventional Doppstedt hammer mill, thus the result has particle sizes of all kind up to 25 cm.

At present. I am buildig a mobile, self propelled chipping unit with a pick up and a small forest crane on it.
The chipping unit is a Laimet HP 21 screw chipper. But this is not going to be operable before the end of 2013.

After it's completion, we shall still have lots of screening rests to pyrolize and make biochar besides the chip production for cash income.

The question is how to deal with the 100 + tons we shall generate soon and which will be probably available in the neighbouring villages even after our mobile chipping service is up and operable.

Just how big can I build a TLUD ?

Is there a way to continuously feed one and take out the char into a cooling drum or sprinkler?

Can they use the residual heat for heating the municipal pool, e.g.?

any ideas/experiences are highly welcome!

Happy easter

Rolf

--
Energies Naturals C.B. <energiesnaturals at gmx.de>